Strengthening data security to protect clients’ privacy is not an easy task, but it is a ‘must do’ to avoid business losses. There are at least three top barriers to a business’ success in implanting a strong information security plan: technology, resources, and knowledge.
- Constant evolution of technology and technological trends requires continuous updates in a business’ information security system.
- Frequent change and updates in this area also implies continuous exposure to vulnerability, no matter what and when the latest measures were taken.
- BYOD and the cloud are not going away. This means businesses also need preparedness towards external platforms, which they have no control over and do not own themselves.
- Funding is one reason for the lack of adequate technology needed to maintain and continuously improve an effective data breach information security system.
- Another area where resources play a part in an organization’s level of information security preparedness is the possibility to invest in the necessary employee training and tools.
- Knowledge and expertise are limited even if a business has the resources to invest in employee training and tools because the funding available for an institution is divided among all departments. This means a company can manage a little bit of everything, but it can not specialize in one area (in this case information security).
A business has two options to overcome the three barriers to a strong data breach defense system:
- To invest a lot more time, effort and money in house; or to outsource their efforts to a trusted information security professional and team prepared to face the information security challenges from the get go.
When a data breach occurs, companies lose sensitive and private information (at a cost); but they can also lose their clients’ business. Reputation and information security are two fundamentals to maintaining a good business standing in the eyes of the end client because they involve trust.
No matter how small the industry or company (a hospital facility, an enterprise, a school, a bank) any loss of sensitive and private information, will get attention. The news will talk about it and the business that had a data breach gets known for being vulnerable and not safe. There is no way around the consequence of a data breach except to nullify the threat through preparedness.